Monday, May 29, 2017

Notes from The 2017 Simi Valley Cajun & Blues Music Festival, Day One

Robby Krieger
Last year some of my favorite music-related moments of the year took place at The Simi Valley Cajun & Blues Music Festival (like seeing Leon Russell sit in with Booker T for “Green Onions,” and an absolutely joyous set by Dwayne Dopsie), and so I’d been excited for weeks now about this year’s festival. The lineup of bands for Saturday was particularly exciting, as it included Lazy Lester, The Yardbirds and Robby Krieger, as well as Dwayne Dopsie And The Zydeco Hellraisers (though they’d be doing a set on Sunday too). Basically, I had planned on spending the entire day at the blues stage. There are two stages, you see, one dedicated to the blues and one to Cajun and zydeco. I was determined to get there in time for Kelly’s Lot, who kicked off the day just after noon. I love this band, and missed their set last year because they likewise were the first band of the day and, well, I think I was still asleep. This time I managed to get there a few minutes before they started and learned that lead singer Kelly Zirbes is going to be putting out a new album soon on vinyl. So there was good news even before the music started.

Kelly’s Lot kicked off their set with “Hush Up,” the lead-off track from Don’t Give My Blues Away, which is the song that gave that CD its title. Basically every member of the band got a chance to shine on this song, with particularly good work on trumpet, keys and saxophone. They did some other songs from that album, including “Taking Time” and “Reason For The Blues” (both of which – as well as “Hush Up” – were also on Live In Brussels). In introducing “Reason For The Blues,” Kelly said, “This song is about a toxic relationship that you just can’t get enough of.” That song featured nice stuff from Dave Welch on horn, and by Perry Roberton on guitar. And of course they did some material from their excellent new album, Bittersweet, including “Mr. Chairman” and “Rise Above.” Before “Rise Above,” Kelly Zirbes joked briefly about singing Stevie Wonder’s “I Just Called To Say I Love You.”

It was a damn good set to get the day in motion, but after Kelly’s Lot was done, it was announced from the stage that Gregg Allman had died. It was known that he’d had health problems of late, but the news still came as a surprise, as death almost always does. That might have been around the time I had my first drink of the day. It was also the first time I spoke with Lazy Lester, who was kind enough to take a photo with me (later I had a short conversation with him about music, particularly about the song that was playing over the sound system at that moment between acts). When he was introduced, he was called “this young man.” And indeed when I said to my friend, “I hope I have as much as energy when I’m his age,” he answered, “I don’t have that much energy now.” Lazy Lester’s set was certainly one of the day’s highlights. Not only can the man still sing a great tune and play the hell out of a harmonica (and also play guitar), but he has a good sense of humor. Responding to the audience’s enthusiastic applause early in his set, he said, “I can’t see you, but I know you’re there.” And he joked about someone telling him he was covering a Kinks song, when of course it was the other way around. The song in question is “I’m A Lover, Not A Fighter,” which Lazy Lester recorded in 1958 and released as a single. Someone in the audience called out, asking him how old he is. Lester replied: “I’m not old. I’ve been around a long time.” He then told the crowd he’ll be 84 next month. The Bayou Brothers, who were backing him, were clearly elated, and so was I, and so was much of the crowd. I loved his version of “Sing Me Back Home,” on which he played guitar. He was joined by a washboard player for the second half of his set, and ended the set with “Jambalaya,” Lazy Lester delivering some absolutely fantastic stuff on harmonica. “Don’t ask me when I’m coming back because I haven’t left yet,” he told the crowd at the end of his set.

We had about fifteen minutes before The Yardbirds were scheduled to go on (and yes, this festival sticks very closely to its schedule), so my friend and I used the time to have some edibles and then head over to the Cajun stage to check out Big Chief Monk Boudreaux & The Golden Eagles.  Good stuff, but we only had enough time to catch part of a great jam before having to head back to the blues stage for The Yardbirds. As for The Yardbirds, there is only one original member left – Jim McCarty on drums and backing vocals. But then again, this was always a band that was changing its lineup. Even its most famous members – Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page – were each in the band for only a few years. And only one of them (Eric Clapton) was an original member. And the current lineup sounds great. They opened their set with “Heart Full Of Soul,” a hit for the band in 1965. And the set was basically a greatest hits kind of thing, including “Shapes Of Things” and “Over Under Sideways Down.” Jim McCarty sang lead on “Back Where I Started.” They ended the set with “For Your Love” straight into “Happenings Ten Years Ago” straight into “Dazed And Confused” (the last being a song that The Yardbirds had performed before Led Zeppelin did it, and featuring some great work on harmonica). The set also included a good drum solo. The encore was “Train Kept A-Rollin’” with the drums leading from that straight into “I’m A Man.” And the band really jammed during the encore.

It wasn’t until after The Yardbirds’ set that I realized the drugs had kicked in. It was a body thing at first, my legs becoming a bit gooey and not entirely to be trusted. But they did get me back to the front of the stage in time for Robby Krieger’s set. Robby started with a little tribute to Gregg Allman before going into a set of Doors material, with his son Waylon taking lead vocal duties. They kicked it off with “Break On Through,” followed by “Back Door Man” straight into “Five To One.” Unlike The Doors, this band had a bass player, giving the songs a different feel (of course, The Doors did employ bass players on some of their studio recordings). They also did “Moonlight Drive,” which is one of my favorite Doors songs, and followed it with “Wild Child.” Waylon Krieger then encouraged the crowd to come closer to the stage. The way the place was set up, which was different from previous years, there was a fenced-off area near the front for folks with some kind of special tickets called “Super Tickets,” which cost a lot more. You had to have bought one of those passes in order to get in. My friend and I had backstage and media passes, and even we were turned away from that area. The problem was that not everyone who had tickets to that area was present, so there were several empty chairs in the front, with large groups of people behind that and to the sides. And so, during “Who Do You Love,” several people accepted Waylon’s invitation to enter that area. That led to some trouble with the security folks, who then tried to remove all those people. Waylon apologized and said everyone had to go back, and eventually they did. I had mixed feelings about it, of course. The band did a nice long version of “When The Music’s Over.” Actually, by then I was seriously stoned, so I have no idea how long the song really was.

Robby Krieger did the band introductions, and then a horn section joined the band for “The Changeling,” which included a playful nod to “Chain Of Fools” and a bit of “Sunshine Of Your Love” at the end. They followed that with “Touch Me” and then “Roadhouse Blues.” During “Roadhouse Blues,” some security folks gathered near me, putting some plan into action – “You take stage right,” and so on – so something was about to go down and I was made privy to the plan, making me wonder if I should warn folks. But moments later I had forgotten all about it, as the band went into “20th Century Fox,” and I have to say that Waylon sounded just exactly right on this. When I looked away from the stage, I could sense the magic. Then looking back dispelled it, as he seems so young. He then asked for requests before the band went into “Light My Fire,” during which I was developing a mighty thirst. The band jammed on this song, as you’d expect, with the horn section delivering some wonderful stuff. That led straight into an instrumental version of “Eleanor Rigby” and then on into an instrumental version of “My Favorite Things” (a surprise, to be sure), before going back into “Light My Fire,” with bass and drum solos.  That was how the set ended; there was no encore.

Dwayne Dopsie And The Zydeco Hellraisers were a highlight of last year’s festival, and so I was excited to see them again. On this day they were playing on the blues stage (though actually they had also done a set earlier in the day on the Cajun stage), and they tailored their set accordingly, opening with “Born Under A Bad Sign,” though without Dwayne. Dwayne came on stage partway through the following tune, an instrumental. What they were doing was good, but I was itching for a zydeco fix, and as several people last year had told me not to miss Doug Kershaw (I did, in fact, miss him last year), my friend and I decided to walk over to the other stage and catch a bit of his set. There was a problem with feedback, which Doug immediately turned into a joke. Between songs there, we could hear the music coming from the blues stage, and ended up going back there to catch the very end of Dwayne’s set. Actually, he was going to do one more song, but word came from the park people that they needed to shut down, and so that was that. It was certainly an anti-climactic ending to the day, as the music sort of fizzled out, but with promises of a good tomorrow coming from Dwayne Dopsie before he left the stage.

Here are some photos from the first day of the festival:

Kelly's Lot
Kelly's Lot
Lazy Lester
Lazy Lester
Lazy Lester
Big Chief Monk Boudreaux And The Golden Eagles
The Yardbirds
The Yardbirds
The Yardbirds
The Yardbirds
Robby Krieger
Robby Krieger
Robby Krieger
Dwayne Dopsie And The Zydeco Hellraisers
Dwayne Dopsie
Dwayne Dopsie And The Zydeco Hellraisers
Dwayne Dopsie And The Zydeco Hellraisers
Doug Kershaw
Doug Kershaw
The Simi Valley Cajun & Blues Festival is held annually, and is located at 5005 Los Angeles Ave. in Simi Valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment