Friday, November 21, 2014

Lady Low at Good Times At Davey Wayne’s, Los Angeles, 11-20-14

"Goodnight My Love"
Lady Low celebrated the release of their first single tonight with a show at Good Times At Davey Wayne’s, in Los Angeles. They got a late start, due to some issues with lights and so forth. They were scheduled to go on at 9 p.m., but things didn’t get underway until just after 10. In addition to the core trio of Jimmy Sweet on vocals and guitar, Sami Jo on vocals and drums, and Rachel Maxann on vocals and synthesizer, the band featured an additional guitarist and two violinists.

They kicked off their set with a cover of The Velvet Underground’s “I’m Waiting For The Man,” with a little “Hey Jude” tease thrown in at the end, then went into “Rainy Day” (the violinists sat that one out). The set also featured “Burning Like A Fever” (a song from Death By Sexy, Jimmy Sweet’s other band) and a short a cappella “Goodnight My Love.” They ended the set with the two songs from the single – “When I Do Wrong” and “Baby Baby,” the latter being a cover of the Vibrators song. It was a good set, but very short. They ended precisely at 10:30 p.m. (so the set was twenty-eight minutes).

Set List
  1. I’m Waiting For The Man
  2. Rainy Day
  3. Burning Like A Fever
  4. Goodnight My Love
  5. I Wanna Be Your Dog
  6. When I Do Wrong
  7. Baby Baby  
Here are a few photos from the show:

"I'm Waiting For The Man"
"I'm Waiting For The Man"
"I'm Waiting For The Man"
"Rainy Day"
"Burning Like A Fever"
"When I Do Wrong"
"Baby Baby"
Good Times At Davey Wayne’s is an odd, but kind of cool venue, with 1970s décor. You enter through a refrigerator at the end of a short hallway. I’m sure the first couple of nights the venue was open, the doorman enjoyed answering the befuddled patrons’ questions about how to get in, but now is thoroughly tired of the comments about the door. There are a couple of couches in the middle of the room, limiting the dance space. It doesn’t seem to be designed for concerts, and has more of a groovy lounge feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment