Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Palaye Royale: “Get Higher” (2013) CD Review


In March of this year I went to see Dreaming Bull at Lexington Social House in Hollywood. I was also treated to a set of music by a band called Palaye Royale. A young band with a young and eager audience. Their single, “Get Higher,” was the tune that really got their fans dancing that night. I got a copy of it on CD, listened to it a few times, then set it aside (not because it wasn’t good, but because of the large number of CDs that I have here). But today I felt a need to play it again.

“Get Higher” is a fairly straight-ahead rock song, with a good driving beat, some effective guitar work, and a ton of energy. It’s not what I normally listen to, but when I put it on, I can’t help but want to turn this one up and dance around my apartment. “I’m getting higher/I’m going to set this house on fire.” It has that special youthful force that has always been associated with rock and roll.

It’s followed by “White,” and I actually think this is a better song. It’s certainly a more interesting tune, with a good lyrics like, “Lost in your eyes, your big blue eyes/They can paint a sky/Don’t be so scared to be yourself.” There is something really catchy about the vocal line to this tune, and it's the vocals that pull me in.

CD Track List
  1. Get Higher
  2. White
Palaye Royale is Remington Leith, Sebastian Danzig and Emerson Barrett. They are based in Las Vegas.

Get Higher was released on May 22, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment