Thursday, August 9, 2012

Holly Golightly And The Brokeoffs: "Sunday Run Me Over" (2012) CD Review

One of my favorite albums from last year was No Help Coming by Holly Golightly And The Brokeoffs. So my expectations were extremely high when I put in their new disc, Sunday Run Me Over.  And I have to say, I couldn't be more excited. I've already listened to this album several times, and it's certainly one of the best of 2012.  It's everything I wanted it to be, and yet still surprised me.  There are a couple of tracks that had me laughing out loud (including their cover of Mac Davis' "Hard To Be Humble").

Most tracks are originals, but there are also three interesting choices for covers, including the slow country tune "I Forgot More," where Holly allows a sweetness into her vocals. Written by Cecil Null, that song was a number one hit for the Davis Sisters in 1953. They also do an interesting take on Wayne Raney's "We Need A Whole Lot More Of Jesus (And A Lot Less Rock And Roll)," changing it to "We Need A Whole Lot Less Of Jesus (And A Lot More Rock And Roll)," about how the Jesus freaks want to direct the nation, regardless of the large numbers of people who don't believe in that nonsense. Amen. And probably the most fun cover on this release is Mac Davis' "Hard To Be Humble," which starts with Holly and Dave on their computers, leaving hateful messages about each other on Facebook (and then clicking the "Like" button) - this is the first reference to Facebook in popular culture that I've actually really loved. 

As wonderful as these covers are, it's the duo's originals that really impress me. Their music is like Folk holding a knife to Punk's glorious throat, then after a moment the two laughing it off and skipping down hobo alley to get a root beer float, which they share.

"Goddamn Holy Roll"

Sunday Run Me Over opens with a bang, with "Goddamn Holy Roll." Sounding like a back-porch musician just released from the asylum and given a strange combination of medications to help her along. Anyone is bound to have something to say about religion under those conditions. "Goddamn Holy Roll" is sort of the title track, as the CD's title is in the song's first line.

"They Say"

"They Say" is a slow, mean tune that sneaks on you like a snake, and waits for you to notice it before striking.  Very cool. 

"One For The Road"

I completely love the ridiculous waltz, "One For The Road." This song cracked me up the first time I heard it. And the second. And the third. It put me in a great mood. It begins, "The band starts to play, as the ship is setting sail/The captain says it's clear for miles today." And check out these lines: "As we rise and fall and sway/In the line at the buffet/Take a walk or take a spill/Just hug the rail." It is a delightful tune, that at one section sounds like it's run through an instant carnival machine owned by a demented aging dwarfish ringmaster.  I love the percussion during that section.

"Turn Around"

"Turn Around" is another of my favorites. It's a simple tune, with a steady rhythm, but Holly's vocals kick ass. Here is a taste of the lyrics: "Why don't you turn around/Walk away/You are not welcome here/You cannot stay/Turn around/Don't come back again/And take your misery/With you when you go."  Fucking great.

"The Future's Here"

I love that a song called "The Future's Here" has elements that sound make it sound at least seventy years old. I love the old-timey feel of this song, juxtaposed with lines like, "The future's here/The past is gone."  This is another completely delightful and wonderful tune. Ah yes: "Jet pack, flying cars/It's a fact, there's life on Mars/The future's here, and here we are/Don't keep us waiting/No time to waste/No hesitating/Don't want to be out of date."

"Goodnight"

"Goodnight" is another favorite of mine. Holly is so great at singing these angry and dismissive tunes. Check out lines like, "You'll have to excuse me if I look confused/But you might as well talk to the wall/Whatever you mean will be wasted on me/Nothing you've got entertains/You ain't got a hope, and I don't get the joke/So there's no need to tell it again." There is something insanely sexy in her voice, in her delivery, in her attitude.

CD Track List
  1. Goddamn Holy Roll
  2. They Say
  3. Tank
  4. I Forgot More
  5. One For The Road
  6. Turn Around
  7. A Whole Lot More...
  8. Hand In Hand
  9. The Future's Here
  10. Hard To Be Humble
  11. Goodnight
  12. This Shit Is Gold
Sunday Run Me Over is scheduled to be released October 9, 2012 on Transdreamer Records.

No comments:

Post a Comment