Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Short Music Update, 9-20-11

Hey, folks. Just a couple of notes. This year continues to be an exciting year for CD releases, and music in general.

On November 15th, Concord Records is releasing Ray Charles' Singular Genius: The Complete ABC Singles. That's 106 songs on five discs. That's a whole lot of Ray Charles. I'm going to get a couple bottles of wine, turn my phone off, and just enjoy that collection. And yes, I am planning on writing a review.

And then if that wasn't enough to get me completely thrilled, I just learned that also being re-issued on that day are three of the Grateful Dead's Dick's Picks series. As you might know, I'm a huge Grateful Dead fan. I only managed to catch 41 shows between 1988 and 1995, but those provided some of my fondest memories and some of my craziest stories. Anyway, Real Gone Music is re-releasing Dick's Picks Volume 34, Volume 35 and Volume 36 on November 15th. These are three that I did not manage to get the first time around, so I am incredibly excited about these releases. I'll review them as soon as they come in.

One more note about November 15th: Real Gone Music is also re-issuing two records (yes, on vinyl) by ? And The Mysterians: 96 Tears and Action. I need to get my turntable fixed (or replaced) before then.

And for those in the Los Angeles area, don't forget that tomorrow night Wagons are playing at The Hotel Cafe. I've been told they go on at 8 p.m. sharp. And The Hotel Cafe is a venue that actually keeps to a strict schedule, so don't be late. For those who haven't heard of this band yet, you can read my review of their latest release, Rumble, Shake And Tumble, which is one of my favorite CDs of the year (I'm especially fond of "Moon Into The Sun" and "Save Me"). It should be an excellent concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment